Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Passion and Purity

Through letters, diary entries and recollections of her courtship and marriage, Elisabeth Elliot candidly shares the temptations, difficulties, victories and sacrifices of two young people whose commitment to Christ took priority over their love for each other. These revealing personal glimpses, combined with relevant biblical teaching may help to remind you that only by putting your human passion and desire through his fire can God purify your love.

One of Jim's letter to Elisabeth:

Woke early again this morning and shared my devotions with dreams of you. It bothers me somewhat that you are on my mind when I ought to be praying, and it's a discipline not to indulge overmuch in remembering. Not that I feel a conflict - I am assured that loving you is part of my life now - important as eating, and God knows, I need it. 

...



I'm glad that last is still ahead. Glad I'm not jaded by nights in bed with you, as married couples are. They can bear to sit opposite sides of the car. I'm glad I still can't quite keep my hands off you, still must be warned not to "muss you up". I have you now unravished, and that is just how I need you now. The schoolboy in me still wonders and is awkward - we've not had "experience" - which takes the edge off. We will, I suppose, get used to each other, the feel and smell and look of one another, but I am glad it is not so now. As I never felt before, I feel now that I must keep myself for you. God knows it is a stay to purity, and He knows how many shakings to purity are ahead.


I bought this book in Singapore and I truly glad to be able to keep a copy of this book. Do read this! Don't miss it! If you have read "I kissed dating goodbye" and "Say hello to courtship", do not miss out this book! Joshua Harris wrote his book based on Passion and Purity =D

From Elisabeth's journal:

Teach me to feel that Thou Art always nigh
Teach me the struggles of the soul to bear
To check the rising doubt, the rebel sigh
Teach me the patience of unanswered prayer.

George Croly (Spirit of God, Descend Upon My Heart"

When obedience to God contradicts what I think will give me pleasure, let me ask myself if I love HIM. If I can say yes to that question, can't I say yes to pleasing HIM? Can't I say yes even if it means a sacrifice? A little quiet reflection will remind me that yes to God always leads in the end to joy. We can absolutely bank on that.




No comments:

Post a Comment

sausage(s)